Skip to content Skip to footer

TV Licensing and the concessions available

A guide to TV Licensing and the concessions available

TV Licensing is urging anyone aged 75 or over living in Southend to get in touch with TV Licensing to claim their free TV Licence.

When do I need a TV Licence?

The law changed on 1 September 2016.

You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device such as TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box and DVD / VHS recorder and provider you use.

Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.

How do I apply?

Although it is free, people aged 75 or over do still need to apply for their TV Licence. Applying for the free licence is easy and once you have done so, TV Licensing will renew it automatically annually for three years, cutting down on paperwork. People applying for their free licence for the first time, or those aged 74 wishing to apply for a Short Term Licence to take them up to their 75th birthday, can apply by:

  • Visiting filling in a short form
  • Calling 0300 790 6073
  • Writing to TV Licensing, Bristol, BS98 1TL, giving your name, address, date of birth and National Insurance number.

If you do not have your national insurance number, call 0300 790 6073 to arrange to provide other proof of your date of birth.

If you are not the current licence holder for your address and share your home with someone younger, you can still apply. Call TV Licensing as above and we will transfer your name onto the existing license.

Are there any other concessions available?

 TV Licensing also offers a 50% concession to those people who are registered blind or severely sight impaired. To apply for this concession, you simply need to:

  • Make a photocopy of a certificate from your local authority or ophthalmologist indicating that you are blind or severely sight impaired
  • In Northern Ireland, the certificate must be issued by or on behalf of a Health and Social Services Trust. In the Isle of Man, it must be issued by or on behalf of the Department for Health and Social Services
  • Fill out and print an application form – one can be found at
  • Send the form, certificate and payment to Concessionary Licensing Centre, TV Licensing, Bristol BS98 1TL

If you have any questions about eligibility for the concession or how to apply, please call 0300 790 6131.

If you live with someone who is blind or severely sight impaired you can also benefit from the blind concession TV Licence by transferring your licence to the name of the blind or severely sight impaired person. To do this, call 0300 790 6131 or visit

or more information about TV Licensing please visit or call 0300 790 6115.